Week 2 Homework
The set homework this week is to create a YouTube channel, learning the practicalities of setting up a portal into YouTube on a blog, embedding the links to the relevant videos watched.
The set homework this week is to create a YouTube channel, learning the practicalities of setting up a portal into YouTube on a blog, embedding the links to the relevant videos watched.
Three topics have to be chosen, illustrating the learning outcomes of (a) a task (how to...) ; (b) a question (why is...; and (c) a concept (explain...). Let's try this then, in the following areas of interest:
How to change a washer on a tap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMaFmHBrpy4
Why do leaves fall?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuuEB0sb804
Explain Joyce's Ulysses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI7ZnHIF0Xo
YouTube appears most admirably suited as a learning medium in regard to practical hands-on matters, as illustrated by the chosen topic of 'How to change a washer on a tap'; where the visual act of 'seeing' something done can then be applied - having literally seen the thing actually done - to whatever practical matter applies, from repairing taps and engines, to building things to the size of houses, to learning to play musical instruments and particular guitar tunes for example. We learn by example, predominantly, seeing things done. Reading the same construction by text in an 'instruction manual' just complicates and very often obfuscates the task in hand.
YouTube can certainly be employed to answer questions (why...) though it appears (at first glance) to be far less useful (far less adept) in the field of explaining scientific principles. The biological field of 'leaf senescence' chosen here by way of example is so much better illustrated (or so it seems to me) by the institutional conventions and traditions of lecturing and studious independent reading about the subject in the relevant scientific literature. I have been reliably informed, however, that YouTube is useful as a learning tool for students in the realm of Psychology.
Learning about the Arts (I am thinking here of Literature) may well be best conveyed through the comprehensive medium of YouTube, giving the broadest spectrum of learning opportunities far more expansively than the 'restrictive' (more rigidly defined) practices of the Sciences. YouTube, nevertheless, even in the Arts, is no substitute for reading.
In summary, in general, my first impression is that YouTube as a learning medium works best when it comes to demonstrating practical 'tasks' (how to do things) and perhaps also in regard to 'concepts' (explaining things) and clearly YouTube also has a function in answering all manner and kinds of 'questions', whatever question is addressed to it. If there is a weakness (I must emphasise that at this point in the proceedings I am not necessarily claiming that there is) that 'weakness' may reside in explaining to the 'viewer' the concepts inherent in the Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, et cetera).
There you go then. The above was accomplished in a rush, in the last half hour (sorry about that, Stefano). It serves to represent my initial critical assessment of the usefulness of employing YouTube in learning, at least. Whether this most recent blog comprises the obligatory weekly '300 words' as demanded, I have no immediate way of knowing. Whatever, I feel that I'm becoming more adept at this, more confident in navigating, and have a growing sense that I might indeed (eventually) one day become a blogger...
There you go then. The above was accomplished in a rush, in the last half hour (sorry about that, Stefano). It serves to represent my initial critical assessment of the usefulness of employing YouTube in learning, at least. Whether this most recent blog comprises the obligatory weekly '300 words' as demanded, I have no immediate way of knowing. Whatever, I feel that I'm becoming more adept at this, more confident in navigating, and have a growing sense that I might indeed (eventually) one day become a blogger...
Hi Terence
ReplyDeletewell done with your blog i think that very soon you will indeed get the hang of blogging :)
great read, i'm still trying to get the first weeks homework done but have always found choice difficult i am very indecisive! see you in class Di
Thanks Di.
DeleteAs I write...my kitchen cold water tap is defunct, I had initially thought of getting a plumber in! However, following your blog me thinks a trip to B & Q is in order and I intend to grasp the nettle and get to work at sorting out my domestic plumbing issues.... stand by for update in class........
ReplyDeleteThank you for your delicious comment on my blog, me thinks my ego is truly massaged! Akin to you I stumble and find my way by error rather than clear direction. Already I see that we have achieved so much and can see imagine you as a successful blogger with many followers
Hi Llinos. Yes, we're all of us on a 'steep learning curve' here, learning how to blog; but in many respects you, Llinos, are demonstrably so much more advanced than the rest of us. So impressively designed and so eloquently expressed, your blog; a paradigm to which we others must aspire. Terence.
DeleteThis is a great blog demonstrating the usefulness of you tube - I tend to use it to blast out music, especially to seek out songs I haven't heard in years when I'm feeling nostalgic! I forget that it can be used as a learning tool... And you helped Llinos solve her plumbing issue! So that's cool :)
ReplyDeleteHi Terence - I think that you have done well mate - you are a blogger as look you have a blog and people are commenting on it hence you are blogging - whether the task took you 10 mins or 10 hours you still have satisfied the blog requirements in terms of assessment but also I like reading your blog , I like seeing the progress that you are making and read the other students comments all positive - Don't put yourself down just go with it ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement, Stefano.
Delete