Appertaining to the Use of Pinterest for Learning, now we're in Week 6
Set up my very own Pinterest account today, using my Facebook login in order to register. Easy to do, this. And from here on it's self-evident how to proceed with Pinterest, adding 'Pins' (images mostly, though also videos) - by the simple tactic of clicking the 'pin it' button - to named 'Pin Boards' (virtual notice boards) on subjects of interest to me, landscapes in the main, to form in this first instance this introduction a categorised photographic compilation of the scenery of the 'Isle of Skye', the 'Western Isles', 'Oban', and 'Other Places' (a miscellany of other Hebridean locations) on the spectacular West Coast of Scotland, Pinterest thereby acting as my own personalised media platform, to remind me of the places I've been. These boards by themselves may be regarded as 'boards on learning', at least when viewed in a geographical (a topographical) sense. Amateur (and perhaps even professional) photographers must love Pinterest.
Unable to find a way to embed my Pinterest account - www.pinterest.com/ter39batt/ - as a direct embedded link to this blog. Can't find a 'share' or 'embed' button anywhere on my Pinterest profile home-page. Oh dear. Hang about, after endlessly frustrating attempts, I have of a sudden discovered a way to do it. Simply copy and paste the link displayed in an e-mail which I'd sent to myself, and then embed it here (via HTML & back to Compose). May not be the 'correct' way, but what the heck it works (well... kind of):
Unable to find a way to embed my Pinterest account - www.pinterest.com/ter39batt/ - as a direct embedded link to this blog. Can't find a 'share' or 'embed' button anywhere on my Pinterest profile home-page. Oh dear. Hang about, after endlessly frustrating attempts, I have of a sudden discovered a way to do it. Simply copy and paste the link displayed in an e-mail which I'd sent to myself, and then embed it here (via HTML & back to Compose). May not be the 'correct' way, but what the heck it works (well... kind of):
Pins are visual bookmarks. Pinterest is a bookmarking service that uses pictures (images) rather than writing (text). If more detail is required about a Pin, then one just needs to click on the Pin image to enter the website the Pin came from. Pinterest represents not only a astonishingly comprehensive collection of millions of photographic images, but also comprises images in the form of infographics, videos; and even slide-share presentation collections have been added.
Not sure that any of the boards I've come across here (at first glance using this platform) provide the inquisitive and intelligent user with a meaningful 'learning' experience. It seems to me (in my admittedly limited experience) much easier (or as easy, I ought to say) to search for a chosen subject - as I have done many times before - straightforwardly by way of using Google Images, with its plethora of images on all known subjects. Or through YouTube. And in the landscape examples provided above, in my own personalised Pinterest account, I am aware that certain professional photographers who I am aware of (working in Scotland) are seemingly not present (not represented) on Pinterest - for example, the distinctive and atmospheric work of The Flying Monk, the ex-Buzzcocks drummer, John Maher:
The Flying Monk
In regard to the set task this week of 'finding boards on learning'. Well, I've just searched Pinterest for Pins on 'Learning the Guitar', and actually I'm well impressed - just now - by what I have found there. Have to retract my previous comments about Pinterest being of little or no use for learning. It's all there, in actual fact, I've now discovered. See my most recent Pinboard entitled 'Learning' (Learning the Guitar). Though actually, thinking about it, evaluating what's there, I could equally have found these videos on YouTube. And it does all seem kind of amateurish, this, to be honest, what's available on Pinterest. Anyway, after trail & error, and with increasing exasperation, I eventually found a way to embed something from a Pinterest post that I've selected on 'learning', by way of YouTube (which is cheating, I know). Here it is then, a Blues-Harp Bottleneck Slide-Guitar Duet, and pretty good it is too:
Blues Bottleneck GuitarThe Flying Monk
In regard to the set task this week of 'finding boards on learning'. Well, I've just searched Pinterest for Pins on 'Learning the Guitar', and actually I'm well impressed - just now - by what I have found there. Have to retract my previous comments about Pinterest being of little or no use for learning. It's all there, in actual fact, I've now discovered. See my most recent Pinboard entitled 'Learning' (Learning the Guitar). Though actually, thinking about it, evaluating what's there, I could equally have found these videos on YouTube. And it does all seem kind of amateurish, this, to be honest, what's available on Pinterest. Anyway, after trail & error, and with increasing exasperation, I eventually found a way to embed something from a Pinterest post that I've selected on 'learning', by way of YouTube (which is cheating, I know). Here it is then, a Blues-Harp Bottleneck Slide-Guitar Duet, and pretty good it is too:
(3) Write a blog post including some infographics from Pinterest, we have been asked by the Tutor. Question is, what's 'infobleedingraphics' when it's at home, eh? Haven't a clue. End this exercise here. Done enough already. Leave til later.
And by the way, as a second footnote. It needs to be explained to me step by step how to embed a Pinterest Pinboard of my own choosing into a blog, this blog. I've tried (oh how I have tried), without success.
Nice one Terrence - Thanks for inviting me to pin to your board - Other Board
ReplyDeleteWill show you the embedding later - Ignore the infographic bit - I will explain in lecture but you have fulfilled the homework no problem - these little issues you are having are tiny issues and you need not worry about them Stefano :)
Thoroughly enjoyed reading of your adventures scrawling through the vast array of pictures, pins and boards on pinterest. I must confess that your optimism is quite contagious.Sterling work!!! keep it up
ReplyDelete