Saturday, 12 November 2016




Creating a Linkedin Profile 




The task this week has been to set up a LinkedIn profile. Easy enough. There it is, I've done it, it's done, with a scattering of personal information about myself included for all of yous in class to see. Simple really, equivalent to an electronic c.v. At present, for the time being, with this, it seems unnecessary to populate this online profile with any more personal detail than already provided. I get the idea, the principle of LinkedIn. Here it is then, a direct link created here in this blog to externally access my provisional (barely started) LinkedIn Profile: 


LinkedIn Profile (Terence)

and I've connected this with Stefano Ghazzali:

and also with Llinos:  


which at least demonstrates that I can 'do' it, it can be done, easy enough, I too can be 'linked-in' to everyone else with on online profile. 
An online profile such as this LinkedIn platform provides a most useful means of networking, with colleagues, with other professionals in the same field. It is in essence an 'electronic c.v.', conveying skills and qualifications to anyone else out there who may be interested, while prospecting for employment or business opportunities, say. A means of advertising oneself widely, universally, online. Greatly advantageous for one's career advancement. The one disadvantage that I can think of is that such a profile when posted is far too general, and becomes 'fixed' as an online profile, rather than being refined and edited each time for a specific and targeted purpose, as a printed c.v. can be, focusing on the individual person (or persons) addressed. To be honest, now that I'm 'retired', and set in my ways, LinkedIn as a prospective online profile is of little or no use to me. It is in fact an almost daily irritation that some friends and acquaintances bombard me with requests through my e-mail address soliciting me to become like one of them, to become like them LinkedIn. I invariably decline the offer to connect. No thanks. Not for me. I'd rather be on Facebook. Facebook provides me with sufficient social connectivity with others (and in return - even here, on FB - I have to expose to all others my 'profile') to fulfil my own limited socially-isolated needs, thank you very much. I'm a private kind of guy, me. 



Dr Sue Beckingham (Researcher in the use of Social Media in Higher Education, at Sheffield University) is an enthusiastic advocate of LinkedIn: 




as indeed are many others, such as this one embedded below, easily found on YouTube, advising about getting started on LinkedIn:









As far as LinkedIn is concerned, in my present circumstance, being released from the tiresome quotidian demands and ambitions of 'work' (paid employment), I'm entirely out of it. Linked in? No thanks; I'd much rather be locked out of this particular online personal profile platform. 'Block' me from LinkedIn if you like. 

Had enough of this already. Publish this blog as it stands, send it out. Then, last thing to do this week, 'comment on blogs posted by others in the class'. OK then. 






3 comments:

  1. Having problems with maintaining the size of the text. No matter what I do to change the text uniformly, updating the blog, re-setting the size, the blog reverts to this. Sorry about that, folks.

    Terence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terence we can look at the font size in class - and totally agree with your LInkedin review - I have it also because my work made me - I would not use it otherwise but it is a tool and you use some tools and not other tools I also much prefer Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terence, read with interest your Linkedin page. Much like anything in life, getting started is the hardest part, thereafter its simply a matter of keeping things up to date. Hat of to you Sir and good luck with the latest bit of homework all things Pinterest and Facebook. Looking forward to comparing notes in class. Anon

    ReplyDelete