Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Facing up to Facebook


Facing up to Facebook (week 7)

I have already a Facebook account, in existence for some years now. Most people have a Facebook account and it has become the biggest Social Media website by far. I have used Facebook very basically as a 'window' for me to access others' Facebook pages, to see what close friends and family are doing, and the main reason for doing this in the first place was to keep 'track' of what my adolescent daughter Beth was up to, what she was doing. I log into Facebook at least once a day. It is only recently that I have 'discovered' how to use FB messaging. Only a fortnight ago, I came across - and used for the first time - the 'voice call' facility. Phoned my daughter now living in Cardiff. To think of all those expensive phone calls I've made over the years! On Facebook, 'voice mail' is free.  

Stefano has invited we few remaining die-hards in the Social Media for Learning group to a secret group that he has for some reason unknown to us designated 'Stefano's EdTech Heaven'. 


I have obligingly joined, through my own 'secret' Facebook account, if anyone wants to look:

Terence Ogmore Batt on Facebook

Using Facebook to learn about a topic, has been requested of us. Entered 'Welsh Castles' in Facebook Search and lo and behold quite a surprise a whole range of further options to explore suddenly becomes available in regard to 'Welsh Castles', namely: Top; Latest; People; Photos; Videos; Pages; Places; Groups; Apps; Events. I was completely unaware of this.

Welsh Castles

I only now realise - in doing this, conducting this search just now - the potential of Facebook as a means of learning. Hadn't thought of Facebook in this sense before. I had hitherto regarded Facebook only as a communication tool, a way of social self-promotion and communication with hundreds of acquired 'friends'. No, this is good, really good. This is much better than I'd thought. Facebook really IS (to my surprise) a Social Medium for Learning, as well. There really is great potential here. I hadn't thought I could learn from Facebook. I'm duly impressed. I shall explore more, on Facebook's 'Search' facility. Lots to learn there.

There is the issue of whether the user has a neutral position of information coming in from Facebook, from Facebook friends; because it may be skewed because of one's connection with people (one's friends) who probably have the same outlook as oneself. I do not think this is necessarily an 'issue'. Friends and contacts are diverse and may well present one with a vastly differing outlook on life to one's own, confronting and challenging one's own position. I guess it all depends on which friends you choose. Choose your friends wisely, from all walks of life. Then you'll get the best perspective. 

Thinking about these things (using Facebook as a learning medium; using Facebook to go outside the usual restrictive 'box' of one's usual contacts and naturally acquired friendships) has really opened up my opinion about Facebook. I now regard it in a much more favourable light. Facebook (it turns out) is so much more than a simple 'Social Medium' comprising inane chatter and selfies.



1 comment:

  1. Great Read, your best to date me thinks. Delighted to find that you're embracing this social networking and technology with great gusto. Onwards and upwards

    ReplyDelete