Week 9:
Setting up Skype
One-to-one tuition given this week in installing and using Skype, on my laptop. And as demonstration of Skype's usefulness as a visual and auditory means of communication (between friends and family) I 'Skyped' my daughter in Cardiff, for a 5-minute online chat. Why I have never used Skype before, I don't know. Great this, I like this, I shall log in to Skype again from now on regularly.
Created a 'group', a group of three, with Stefano and Di. Di and I were instructed on how to share a screen in Skype (using Windows 10) and also I screen-shared my own Facebook page, all this by means of demonstration. Called each other on Skype, individually and as a group, all this by means of demonstration.
How to import contacts from Facebook to Skype (see video).
Facebook does have audio/video of course but differs from Skype in that on Facebook there is no screen sharing. Skype effectively provides through screen sharing a learning platform, for example lectures can be conducted by this means. In fact, in today's ubiquitously digital world, it's a wonder that lectures - particularly as practiced in Higher Education - have not become obsolete:
The rather remarkable survival of Lectures, in Higher Education
Handling Hangouts
The Google Hangout interface is easier in many respects than Skype. Both Hangouts and Skype are primarily used for family & friends' communication.
Google Slides (see previous blog)
Embed in this blog, if I can. Slides google.com, log in with ter39 etc. See week 9 homework and Llinos's set up. To embed, File; Publish to web; click embed code; picture size small; autoadvance every 3 seconds. Click on Publish. Code. Copy into HMTL. Right. Try that. Yes, it works. Here it is, embedded:
online slide presentation
Created a 'group', a group of three, with Stefano and Di. Di and I were instructed on how to share a screen in Skype (using Windows 10) and also I screen-shared my own Facebook page, all this by means of demonstration. Called each other on Skype, individually and as a group, all this by means of demonstration.
How to import contacts from Facebook to Skype (see video).
Facebook does have audio/video of course but differs from Skype in that on Facebook there is no screen sharing. Skype effectively provides through screen sharing a learning platform, for example lectures can be conducted by this means. In fact, in today's ubiquitously digital world, it's a wonder that lectures - particularly as practiced in Higher Education - have not become obsolete:
The rather remarkable survival of Lectures, in Higher Education
Many predicted that digital technology would have killed off the lecture by now.
Why would you want to sit through someone telling you something, when so much more information is available at your fingertips whenever you want it?
But when you look at some online courses, instead of revolutionising higher education, they have often simply transported the classic lecture format to an internet audience.
So why has the lecture refused to go away?
Well, it's probably the same category of reason that I refuse to use the self-service automatic check-out machines in supermarkets. I'd much prefer to engage in conversation with the check-out girls.
Handling Hangouts
The Google Hangout interface is easier in many respects than Skype. Both Hangouts and Skype are primarily used for family & friends' communication.
Google Slides (see previous blog)
Embed in this blog, if I can. Slides google.com, log in with ter39 etc. See week 9 homework and Llinos's set up. To embed, File; Publish to web; click embed code; picture size small; autoadvance every 3 seconds. Click on Publish. Code. Copy into HMTL. Right. Try that. Yes, it works. Here it is, embedded:
online slide presentation
No comments:
Post a Comment